There are so many good reasons to make your own granola. First of all, it’s way too easy to not be making it yourself. Secondly, you can custom make it exactly how you and your lovies like it. Lastly, it’s so much cheaper than buying from the store.
Here’s my family’s favourite (at least for now) granola recipe. It’s packed with almonds, coconut and dark chocolate chips, sweetened with maple syrup and has the wholesome goodness of oats and rye.
(yields about 6 1/2 cups of granola)
- 200 g oatmeal flakes
- 200 g rye flakes
- 100 g finely shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 30 g cacao powder
- 30 g almond butter
- 100 g maple syrup
- 50 g coconut oil
- 65 g chopped raw almonds
- 110 g mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Stir first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl.
- On lowest heat setting, slowly melt and blend together cacao powder, almond butter, maple syrup and coconut oil in a saucepan.
- Pour wet mixture over the dry ingredients. Use a spatula to scrap it all out. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in chopped almonds.
- Spread mixture onto two baking dishes. (I use two 11 x 16 inches rimmed cookie sheets).
- Bake for 20 minutes in the center of the oven, removing tray half way and stirring around a bit. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, if and as required. You know it is done by checking the almond pieces, they should be roasted to a golden brown and not burned.
- Once baked, transfer to a large bowl and let cool completely.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Store in and airtight container.