It’s not food if it arrived through the window of your car. —Michael Pollan
I make my own burgers and I make my own burger buns too…simple, easy, wholesome and delicious.
Spelt and Whole Wheat Burger or Slider Buns
(yields 12 slider buns or 6 burger buns)
- 280 g white whole wheat flour, plus extra for dusting
- 140 g whole spelt flour
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 2 tsp raw sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- about 300 g (1 cup plus a bit more) warm water
- egg white or milk or cream for brushing (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine flours and yeast in a large bowl.
- Mix in sugar and salt.
- Mix in oil with hands.
- Pour in 1 cup water and start to form the dough, add more water as required to knead into a soft dough.
- Add a bit of oil and grease the surface of the dough and sides of the bowl.
- Cover and place in a warm spot for two hours.
- After the first rise, knead the dough and divide into 12 balls (6 if you want to make burger-sized buns).
- Place the balls on a greased baking sheet. (I prefer using a perforated sheet.)
- Cover with a cloth and let the dough rise again for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- When the oven reaches the right temperature, brush buns with egg white (or milk or cream) and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until browned.
- Cool on a cooling rack.