All that you see of me is a shell, the rest belongs to love. —Rumi
Pasta is a staple here, nearly as much as love itself… and this is one of our favourite pasta dishes.
Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Pasta Shells
- 250 g fresh spinach, chopped
- 120 g onions, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g ricotta
- 36 large pasta shells
- about 750 ml of marinara sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese for topping
- Heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Add onions and cook to soften.
- Add spinach, cover and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in salt and continue to cook uncovered for a few more minutes to allow the water to evaporate, if any.
- Remove from stove and allow to cool completely.
- In the meantime, cook pasta shells and set aside to cool.
- Mix ricotta with cooked spinach.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Layer a large oven dish (11 inches x 15 inches) with marinara sauce. (I used a small oven dish in the photos above, it only fit 12 shells.)
- Fill shells with the ricotta-spinach mixture and place in oven dish over the sauce.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is browned on top.