Life is short and it is up to you to make it sweet. -Sarah Louise Delaney
A short blog post for these incredibly easy, delicious, and wholesome sweet rolls. If you’ve been wanting to venture into bread-making but have been afraid to do so, this is a perfect recipe to start with. Life is too short to put off such adventures!
Sweet Saffron Rolls
- 100 g butter, unsalted, plus a bit extra for greasing bowl
- 230 g milk
- 75 g maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp saffron, crushed
- 420 white whole wheat flour, plus a bit extra if required
- 2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g yogurt
- optional for brushing over rolls: cream, milk or egg mixture (1 egg white plus 1 tbsp water)
- In a small pan on low heat, melt butter.
- Add milk, maple syrup and saffron.
- Heat mixture on low heat until warm (not hot or cold to the touch). If it gets too hot, let cool.
- Meanwhile, mix in yeast and then salt with flour.
- Next add yogurt to the flour mixture and blend in with hand or spoon.
- Add the warm liquid mixture to the flour and form the dough, knead with your hands. It should be soft but not sticky. If it feels sticky, knead in a bit of extra flour.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with damp cloth and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free spot for 2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen, divide into 12 portions, form small balls and place on a greased baking dish, 1.5 inches apart. Cover with damp cloth and let rise again for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
- Brush rolls with cream, milk or egg mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm with butter.