Fall… The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale. ―
Mother Nature’s last party before sleep is certainly an impressive one. Everyone’s invited—plants, animals, people. The trees dress up in their finest colours as their leaves prepare for flight, fur animals sport their thickest coats, migratory birds come with plans for an escape, and here, we celebrate—with apples and pumpkins, sugar and spice.
Spiced Pumpkin and Apple Cake
(Yields an 8 inch 2 layer cake; you will need two 8 inch pans for this recipe. Alternatively, you may bake it in two rectangular 10×4 inch pans to obtain two loaf cakes.)
- 350 g white whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp fresh finely grated nutmeg
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened
- 150 g raw sugar or finely grated jaggery
- 100 g maple syrup
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 200 g finely grated pumpkin (I used sugar pumpkin)
- 250 g grated apple (any baking apple will do)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat together butter, sugar and maple syrup.
- Add eggs, one at at time, and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the grated pumpkin and apple.
- Divide the batter between two lined and well greased rectangular (10×4 inches) pans or two circular (8.5 inches diameter) cake pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cook on a rack.
- If you wish to layer and frost the cake, I used Aimee (of Twigg Studios) mascarpone based icing that she pairs with her own delicious pumpkin cake. You may find her recipe here along with dreamy photography and other delicious recipes.