Whole Wheat and Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Loves Food Loves to Eat)
(Makes 36 cookies using a 1 1/2 inch cookie dough scoop)
- 210 g (about 1 1/2 cup) whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 114 g (about 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120 g unrefined cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- about 200 g cooked quinoa, cooled to room temperature*
- 45 g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 125 g dark mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- Using a stand or electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and continue to mix for 2-3 more minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Mix in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Stir in cooled quinoa, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Using two spoons or a cookie dough scoop, place balls of dough on cookie sheets about an inch apart, and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy!
*65 g quinoa, wash and drain, add to saucepan with 160 g cold water, bring to gentle boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes on low heat, turn off stove uncover and fluff…. gives 220 g (slightly more than 1 cup) cooked quinoa.