What’s the best way to eat chocolate chip cookies? With milk? Guess again. The best way to eat chocolate chip cookies is by sharing them. No one will ever say no to chocolate chip cookies!
Here is a healthier version of them (which I have slightly adapted from here). Well, as healthy as a cookie can get. I make them with white whole wheat flour and they include quinoa, as well as coconut. No, definitely not your average chocolate chip cookie. Make a batch today and share them with someone who can use a little kindness.
Whole Wheat and Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Loves Food Loves to Eat)
(Makes 36 cookies using a 1 1/2 inch cookie dough scoop)
- 210 g (about 1 1/2 cup) whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 114 g (about 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 120 g unrefined cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- about 200 g cooked quinoa, cooled to room temperature*
- 45 g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 125 g dark mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- Using a stand or electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and continue to mix for 2-3 more minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Mix in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Stir in cooled quinoa, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Using two spoons or a cookie dough scoop, place balls of dough on cookie sheets about an inch apart, and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy!
*65 g quinoa, wash and drain, add to saucepan with 160 g cold water, bring to gentle boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes on low heat, turn off stove uncover and fluff…. gives 220 g (slightly more than 1 cup) cooked quinoa.