What’s the best way to eat chocolate chip cookies? With milk? Guess again. The best way to eat chocolate chip cookies is by sharing them. No one will ever say no to chocolate chip cookies!
Here is a healthier version of them (which I have slightly adapted from here). Well, as healthy as a cookie can get. I make them with white whole wheat flour and they include quinoa, as well as coconut. No, definitely not your average chocolate chip cookie. Make a batch today and share them with someone who can use a little kindness.
Whole Wheat and Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Loves Food Loves to Eat)
(Makes about 32 cookies using a 1 1/2 inch cookie dough scoop)
- 205 g (about 1 1/2 cup) whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 114 g (about 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled (65 g or 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa will give about 1 cup cooked quinoa)
- 45 g (about 1/2 cup) unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- Using a stand or electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and continue to mix for 2 more minutes.
- Mix in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Stir in cooled quinoa, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Using two spoons or a cookie dough scoop, place balls of dough on cookie sheets about an inch apart, and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy!