The tomato-eggplant combination is a mighty good one. That would explain why just about every corner of the globe has its version of a dish featuring this combination. While I love this combination in every version, the one that I make most often is this Indian curry.
It’s quick and easy, vegan, and certainly not void of flavour. Traditionally, it’s served with flatbread or rice along with a dal to make a complete vegetarian meal. It can also be served as a side dish, or, as I like to do, a dip.
Spicy Tomato and Eggplant Curry
(serves 4-6 as a side dish)
- approximately 640 g eggplant, diced small
- approximately 430 g tomatoes, diced small
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp methi seeds
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 green chili, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 15 g fresh coriander finely chopped, plus extra for garnishing (optional)
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat oil.
- Add methi and mustard seeds and allow to crackle.
- Add chili and garlic and cook for half a minute. Next, add the eggplant. Stir to coat in oil.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes until the eggplant is softened (The time will depend on the type of eggplants you are using. Chinese eggplants and baby eggplants will take less time than the larger varieties.)
- Add spices and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add fresh coriander and cook another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander for serving.
12 thoughts on “spicy tomato & eggplant curry”
Hi! You make ordinary baingan bharta look and sound so tempting!
I know you are veg, but I have a twist, where I add olives & bacon and have it on toast 😊
Love spicy foods, love eggplants, love your recipe!
Sounds so good and I happen to love eggplant so I will try this very soon after I google what methi is 😂😂
I wasn’t impressed last time I went to have an eggplant curry at a restaurant, but I’m sure this tastes loads better! It looks delicious!
Sounds delicious! All these spices-it must smell amazing! Gorgeous photos🤗
A classic simple curry Annika – great for this weekends World Vegetarian Day 😃
Annika, aubergine (sorry, I can’t get used to calling it eggplant!) is one of my favourite things to eat. I like to have at least a couple of meat-free meals each week and so I’m always on the lookout for new ideas. This is perfect! Thank you. Looks so delicious.
Super curry & pics too 😀👍
Very good timing 🙂 Thank you for inspiration :)!