In the dead of winter, when even my much cared for indoor herbs appear to have lost all hope, nature brings us sunshine in the form of citrus fruit from the world over. As we prepare to hail in a new year, the season of citrus harvest begins. What better way to mark this occasion than with my family’s favourite waffle recipe: lemon ricotta waffles. Plus, I still have some frozen wild blueberries in my freezer. How about some blueberry-orange sauce to drizzle over the waffles? The fruits of a year gone by paired with the fruits of a newly arrived one… what a perfect way to ring in the new year! Happy New Year friends!
Whole Wheat Lemon Ricotta Waffles
- 195 g (about 1 1/2 cups) white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of one lemon, finely grated
- 75 g (about 1/3 cup) butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 125 g (about 1/2 cup) ricotta cheese
- 120 g (about 1/2 cup) milk
- 75 g ( about 1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix first four ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix in lemon zest.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine and form a homogeneous mixture.
- Cook the waffles as per instructions of your waffle iron.
Wild Blueberry-Orange Sauce
(yields about 2/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups wild blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest, finely grated
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and allow to simmer (uncovered) for about 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Pass through a conical sieve, collecting the liquid and discarding the solid portion.
Note: You may omit step 2 and use the sauce as is as well.
17 thoughts on “lemon ricotta waffles with wild blueberry-orange sauce”
Annika thank you for following me. I look forward to your comments and likes! Welcome aboard!
Mouthwatering pics, will definitely try this😍👌
Do try! You will love them!
How beautiful these waffles look, and love the lemony vibe 😉 happy New Year Annika 🙂
Great pix. I love waffles and blueberry sauce. Perfect together.
What a great idea! These sound pretty awesome! Makes me very curious!!!
These are the best… it’s like eating cake for breakfast!
Lovely waffles to welcome 2017
Fantastic pics! I can almost smell them 😀
Lol! Thank you!
Love waffles! gorgeous photos!! Happy new year Annika.. so glad to have found your beautiful blog.
Perfect breakfast to welcome new year..Pics are gorgeous 😊☺
As always, gorgeous photos and a heartwarming recipe, thank you!
Wishing all of you the happiest of New Years and all the best for 2017.
Sad to say, 2016 will be the year we remember for all the wrong reasons. x
Thank you so much!! A new year… let’s hope for the best!