January is my favourite month, when the light is plainest, least colored. And I like the feeling of beginnings. —Anne Truitt
Two winter bare-bones, cabbage and carrots, a bit of seasoning and a whole lot of shredding produce this healthy, flavourful salad that pickles into a supply of ready-to-serve slaw for the rest of the week. This simple coleslaw is staple in our home come the winter months when salad greens are hard to come by.
Classic Vinegar-Based Coleslaw
(yields a week’s supply for a family of 5, proportionately reduce quantities for less)
- 1700 g cabbage (1 medium head), finely shredded (core and tough stems removed)
- 175 g carrots, peeled and finely shredded
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 100 g (about 1/2 cup) olive oil
- 100 g (about 1/2 cup) vinegar
- Toss all ingredients to combine well. Let sit an hour before serving. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week, it will pickle into a slaw with time.